Control of Personal Data
A Data Controlling Committee, chaired by Chief Executive Officer/Human Resource Management (1), in this Department is responsible for assessing, monitoring and reviewing personal data protection measures to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the Ordinance).
- collect adequate, but not excessive, personal data by lawful and fair means only for lawful purposes related to the Department's functions or activities;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that the personal data collected or retained are accurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are to be used;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that the personal data are not kept longer than is necessary for the purposes for which they are to be used;
- use the personal data collected only for purposes or directly related purposes for which the data were to be used at the time of collection, unless the individual concerned has given express consent for a change of use or such use is permitted by law;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that personal data are protected against unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use;
- take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that a person can be informed of the kinds of personal data that the Department holds and the purposes for which the data are to be used; and
- permit persons to access and correct personal data of which they are the data subjects and process any such access/correction requests in a manner permitted or required by law.
Types of Personal Data Held
Data Access/Correction Requests
Housing Authority Headquarters
33 Fat Kwong Street
Ho Man Tin
Requests for correction of personal data held by the Department may be made by letter addressing to our Departmental Data Protection Officer.
- A Central Register of requests made under the Ordinance
- A Data Protection Log Book, as provided for in Section 27 of the Ordinance
- Departmental Guidelines on Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, which is a set of administrative guidelines on requirements for compliance with the Ordinance for use by all staff who have responsibility for the management of personal data systems and dealing with requests for access to or correction of personal data; and
- A Data Access Request Form for access to personal data held by the Department.